Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Best Brownies

THIS IS A YELLOW RECIPE



I have a good friend to thank for this recipe for brownies. A decent brownie is a very special thing and so often I find when I buy brownies they are either far too sweet of dry and spongy (basically like a chocolate cake). These brownies are dense, dark and chocolatey as any brownie should be. I use walnuts for these because I think the slightly bitter taste goes so well with the chocolate, but also because the brownies my mum used to make had walnuts in too.


8 tablespoons of butter


A 100 gram pack of chocolate – 70% cocoa solids


¼ cup of cocoa


1 cup of sugar


2 eggs


1 tspn vanilla (optional, I suggest substituting for espresso for extra depth)


Pinch of salt


½ cup flour


Handful of nuts




Pre-heat the oven to 160 °c


Melt the butter with the chocolate and cocoa


Add the sugar, leave to cool (if you're impatient, plunge saucepan into cold water)


Add the rest of the ingredients and beat well


Pour into a lined tin (I use a loaf tin)


Bake for about 40 minutes, until the batter is set and starts to smell cooked


Don't do the skewer test because you want the mixture to be a little undercooked

No comments:

Post a Comment