Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Ways with...yoghurt


A few years ago I was teaching in China, everyday I had a very healthy breakfast of yoghurt and green tea, and then would buy fresh fried dough rings on the way to work which I dipped in honey (not so healthy, but very good). I am convinced that eating this yoghurt is the reason why I was one of the few foreign teachers at the school that did not get any major stomach problems. In Zambia I used to make my own using a flask and fresh local milk.
I love yoghurt's versatility, the fact it can be sweet or savoury, can be used in cooking or just eaten on its own.
I use it as an alternative to cream, plain and straight from the fridge with some salt as a dipping sauce for spice food, mix it in milkshakes, the list goes on. Make sure you buy good quality thick, pro-biotic or Greek yoghurt. Here are some ideas.
- put a tablespoon of yoghurt with an avocado, lemon or lime juice and fresh coriander and some red chilli into a blender and whizz smooth for an amazing dip
- mix with curry powder or a little curry sauce from a jar, add to salad wraps
- use instead of cream in carbonara
- add to curry

No comments:

Post a Comment