Monday, June 06, 2011

Thank you Mr. Slater



I have no idea why this picture is rotated like this, so apologies. Anyway here is a beautiful fresh loaf of soda bread, made in an hour, prep to baking with great thanks to Nigel Slater's soda bread recipe.
As happy as I am in the States, there are some things that I do miss and decent wholemeal bread is one of them (along with real cheddar). I don't know why bread here has to be sweet, and so full of chemicals, honestly it's appalling. After trying many different brands I have abandoned store bought bread and now only buy from local bakeries or now make my own!

This recipe is so easy and makes a light, tasty loaf that you can use for sandwiches or toast. Often soda bread is dense and heavy so this one is a revelation. There is no kneading or proving, the baking soda does all the work for you.

My advice for storing is avoid using plastic bags because it makes the crust soggy and you want to keep that crisp crust around the soft center. Instead, store in a bread box wrapped in a clean tea towel or in a paper bag. Better for bread to go stale than moldy because you can still eat it as toast use it for bread crumbs.Link

2 comments:

  1. I love a good crusty soda bread and this looks delicious!

    Thanks for your comment on my rabbit ragu recipe, Liz! I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem, it's a wonderful recipe and is now a firm favourite in my household.

    ReplyDelete