Monday, October 05, 2009

Lunch Idea



Making lunch isn't easy these days, sandwiches are not cheap to make. Nice bread costs a lot more as does cheese, ham etc. cooking is often easier, hence this concoction which was really tasty. I don't have a very catchy name for it, but it took just a few minutes to make as I had cooked the lentils the day before. The lentils I used are green, they cook quite quickly I did soak them in water for about 30 minutes first but doubt I really needed to. After cooking 250g of lentils in unsalted water for about 20 – 30 minutes, drain and return to the saucepan. While still hot add salt, a good slug of olive oil, the juice of a lemon and small slivers of garlic. Replace the lid on the saucepan and leave to steep for a couple of hours.


The lentils can then be used in salads, added to other dishes or used for the recipe below.



  • Sausage with lentils and cabbage for 1.

  • 1 dessertspoon of olive oil or vegetable oil

  • 1 sausage

  • 1 handful of shredded cabbage

  • About 50 grams of cooked lentils.

Remove the skins from the sausages.


Heat the oil in a wide bottomed saucepan and add the sausage meat, break it down with a fork.


When browned, add the cabbage and fry for a minute.


Add the lentils cover and cook until the cabbage is wilted.


Taste for seasoning (the lentils will have salt and lemon already) if necessary add some salt and more lemon juice.





Lentils on Foodista

2 comments:

  1. I love going through your blogs! I love your pictures in Zambia and your handmade projects I'd love to guide our readers to your site if you won't mind.Just add your choice of foodista widget to this post and it's all set, Thanks!:) Alisa@Foodista

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liz! I found this blog in Foodista and followed it here. One of the things I love the most about visiting great blogs like yours is I get to not only see food I've never seen prepared before, but you get to read about how they taste. Love it..... & now I'm hungry .... again :) By the way a busy mom like me doesn’t have much time surfing online to look for great food blog like this, so I rely on Foodista Widget. So please keep adding this lovely widget to every blog you made so moms like me can view your post efficiently. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete