Saturday, October 24, 2009

Project Zam-Cuisine



Moving back to Zambia has had many challenges (failing to find decent cheese being one of my biggest). Due to the vicious visa circle of not having a work permit and not having a job to sponsor because I don't have a work permit, I am 'enjoying' an extended break. I have found it difficult not to feel lazy because my husband is the only one earning, but have to accept that many people would kill for the opportunity to take some time off.


Instead of moping, I am using the time to develop my cooking and crafting skills. So far I have been decorating our house (see my blog: For the Love of) and working on new recipes so that my breadwinning husband is well fed – and myself too of course!


I have become addicted to the food programs that are on all day on TV and I have been researching and trying pick up new tips and ideas for using local ingredients. After some exploring I have found fresh herbs, great vegetables and fruit, spices and meat all plentiful and nearby. My search for cheese that is good and not hideously expensive continues.


My first project is to develop a method for making delicious ice-cream using local ingredients. So stay tuned for the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment