Wednesday, October 21, 2009

A Perfect Tomato Sandwich



I used to hate uncooked tomatoes. Then I realized that I just hated cold, unripe, tasteless and watery tomatoes. When I moved to Italy soon changed my opinion face I was with tiny pomodorini bursting with flavour. On my return to the UK my love affair with the tomato ended – why? Because most of the tomatoes available in shops were from Spain, Holland even Israel, meaning that with the intense farming and refrigeration you end up with perfect looking tomatoes all year round and zero flavour. The thing is, tomatoes are not that difficult to grow, but we have become so insistent on having every ingredient possible available all year round that we are sacrificing on quality.




Now I am in Zambia and local tomatoes, farmed non intensively and locally are bursting with delicious, acid-sweetness. Juice from the tomato is think and red not thin and watery. Perfect for a fresh, healthy and irresistible tomato sandwich.


To make the perfect tomato sandwich, try following my method and see what you think.



  • Use locally produced tomatoes that are deep red and really soft.

  • The tomato should be room temperature; I keep my toms in the fridge but bring one or two out before I use them and allow them to lose that horrible bland chill

  • Thinly slice the tomato with a serrated knife on a plate lined with kitchen paper to absorb the water, remove seeds if the tomato is particularly watery, or you plan to eat the sandwich later (Eg. In a packed lunch)

  • Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise onto a hotdog/burger bun, crusty cob or roll. This bread is dense so absorbs additional moisture without going pappy – white is best because it is slightly sweet and brings out the flavour of the toms

  • Put your slices of tomato onto the bread and sprinkle with salt

  • Shred some basil leaves and add, don't be stingy

  • Drizzle a very small amount of olive oil over

  • Serve.

1 comment:

  1. This is a really lovely blog. This post reminds me - not of the perfect tomato sandwich, but of a sandwich I had many times in Bacelona, Spain, that I thought was so lovely. It started with a baguette similar to the one in your picture, but the bread was spread with a kind of coulis of just crushed ripe tomatoes. A layer of nice white Spanish cheese was added, and there you were! The sandwiches were always served with a bowl of green olives stuffed with anchovies. I used to pop an olive in my mouth, take a small bite of sandwich, and savour.

    Thanks for reminding me of that memory!

    ReplyDelete